Friday, August 3, 2007

Soda in the Bottle

I remember when I was in my early 20’s I would see mothers putting soda in their young toddler’s bottles. In fact I had a friend whose 2-year-old son’s first word was “Coke”. Nice huh?

I have to say it seemed almost commonplace back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. What were they thinking? Even then I felt it was wrong.

When I was a kid my siblings and I drank a lot of juice in our bottles. Back then our mother wasn’t aware of the high sugar content. My brother suffered from this lack of knowledge with several cavities. Still there was some nutrition value in the juice. You cannot say the same for soda. Today, my kids get watered down juice for an occasional treat.

I was thinking of this topic this morning because of the latest reports on Brittany Spears. The gossip magazines are claiming she puts soda in her son’s bottles. I’d like to believe this isn’t true. With this said I can’t help but wonder if there are really mothers out there that do it?

You can’t tell me it is just young moms who don’t know any better. I don’t care how old you are, this is plain common sense. I personally haven’t seen a mother in public do this. I have a feeling strangers would approach and voice their disapproval if one was seen.

Maybe this topic bothers me more then it should. I just think it is hard enough to get nutrition into our young ones as it is. Toddlers seem to be born to be picky eaters. Why would we introduce the sweet taste of sugar and perhaps the energy inducing effects of caffeine to our children?

Okay, I have vented and I feel a little better - LOL

No comments: