Friday, July 6, 2007

Family

Family members can be demanding, selfish and thoughtless sometimes. Yet, because they are blood related we find ourselves biting our tongues. More so if said members are our parents.

I have a mother-in-law who up until 2 years ago had been the best Grandma in the world. She doted on her grandkids. Traveled just to spend time with them and spoke with them regularly on the phone. That was then.

I am not sure what happened exactly. It’s not any health concerns that are holding her back from seeing her grandchildren. In fact she is planning a trip to Ireland this winter. It is not the lack of her son and daughter-in-law inviting her either. Just this week Big Daddy commented that at some point you just get tired of asking.

It is not just the lack of visiting; it is the lack of interest in anything that concerns the kids. She doesn’t want to talk on the phone with them any more and doesn’t seem interested in hearing updates on what they are doing. Now I’m probably sounding like an egotistic mother right now. I’m not. Well, on most days I’m not (said with sarcasm). I don’t expect her world to revolve around my children. Really.

You are probably also thinking that something happened. For her behavior to completely change we (as in my husband and I) must of done SOMETHING. Yet, I can honestly say we didn’t. There was no fight, no hurtful words exchanged…nothing.

Here is what I’m thinking…and it does sound a little crazy. I think that once my kids left that “cute baby” stage she lost interest.

She has older grandchildren that she has been this way with since I’ve been in the family. Plus when Butter Bean was just a baby I noticed Grandma’s favoritism for her. I only hoped that Little Dude didn’t noticed it as well.

Family. I just don’t get them sometimes.

Since we live out of State we try to visit our family back home once a year. This is all that we can afford when having to purchase 4 airline tickets, a rental car and a dog kennel stay. I just feel bad for Big Daddy and the kids…especially the kids. Children should feel unconditional love from their Grandparents. A short yearly visit with little if any contact in-between saddens me.

Maybe this bothers me more then it should. I was very close to my Grandmother and I guess I just wish that for my kids too.

No comments: